This updated homeschool-friendly high school biology course, Exploring Creation with Biology, is written by Dr. Jay Wile & Marilyn Durnell and published by Apologia. The authors emphasize God's creative design that is evident in living things. The book begins by describing the science of biology and giving an overview of the classification of living things. Separate modules provide background on chemistry, cells, cellular reproduction, genetics, ecosystems, and Creation and Evolution. The five major kingdoms are studied individually with one module each for Monera, Protista, and Fungi, four modules devoted to animals, and one on plants.
The 37 experiments include dissections of a frog, perch, crayfish, and worm. Although a microscope is needed for over 12 labs, the author gives you the option of excluding these labs if the cost is beyond your family budget. This book does not have a section on human anatomy, so if you won't be doing Apologia's Human Body course later, consider supplementing it with Body By Design. Grades 8-11. Text is hardcover, tests & solutions manual is softcover. 2nd edition.
Sort Reviews:Newest | Oldest | Highest Rating | Lowest Rating - Thursday, December 08, 2011 Love This Book Reviewed By: Leah Great-very manageable, written conversationally. Not overly difficult, but thorough enough for us.
- Sunday, July 25, 2010 AP Biology! Reviewed By: Molly My son went through this book on his own. He really enjoyed it and it sparked his interest enough that he really wanted to learn more biology. He went through an AP Biology study guide, and while some of the terms weren't the same, most of the concepts on the AP biology test were covered in the book. He got a 4!
- Tuesday, February 05, 2008 Apologia Biology Reviewed By: Julie Johnson This is a challenging Biology written in a conversational tone. If you have a student that like this subject it will prepare them for college. One of my teens has really liked it and the other hated it. However, the one who hated it is more chemistry oriented and just does not like Biology period. The one who likes Bioloy finds it very interesting and challenging.
- Monday, October 22, 2007 Apologia Biology
We love how conversationally this book was written! It's easy to understand, yet challenging. I'm having a great time learning right along side my daughter.
- Thursday, August 23, 2007 Review by Leslie Strout
After 2 years of high school biology and college biology on top of that, I was surprised to see how much I learned as my daughters worked through this course. This is truly a college prep course. My daughter completed the course in May and took the Biology CLEP exam in June. She scored a 61! Apologia is the only science course I would recommend for high school!
- Thursday, January 04, 2007 Exploring Creation w/Biology, 2nd Ed. Reviewed By: Rhonda Tredway My daughter and I really enjoyed this program last year. We had very little problems completing all the assignments and moving on to the next book (the Apologia Chemistry). I was directed to your website by another parent last year and since then I've placed orders here for not just one child but two. Your customer service respresentatives knowledge of all of your products is very helpful when your customers know nothing of what they need (such as myself). They make sure your customers know what's available to us, but not pushy by no means. I applaud your customer service reps. for representing your company so well. Thank you!
- Friday, September 08, 2006 Apologia Biology Reviewed By: Lynda Bailey Wow! We are really impressed with this Biology program. Easy to understand and so good not to have evolution throughout the book. Wish I would have had something like this when I was in high school.
- Tuesday, September 05, 2006 Apologia Biology Reviewed By: Maria Peralta I loved this book. The content flows and the reading challenges the student to think. I love the fact that when read, it sounds as if the teacher is right there with you. It proves that God and science can be seen as one because the only way science makes sense IS through God.
- Tuesday, September 05, 2006 exploring creation with biology Reviewed By: Ginger (cheryl) Williard I have used this curriculum with three daughters. One used it at home and the other two with a co-op group. This book is amazing in the way that Dr. Wile addresses the student personally. The information is technical and advanced but is presented in managable bites. The labs are well-organized and easy to follow. All three daughters have been able to work independently with this material. I would HIGHLY recommend it!!