This complete butterfly garden kit allows you to observe Painted Lady caterpillars for about three weeks as they mature, change into chrysalises, and finally emerge as beautiful butterflies. Rearing live Painted Lady butterflies is a fascinating way to study insect metamorphosis! When they are fully grown, you can release the butterflies into your backyard.
The butterfly garden kit includes a colorful reusable pop-up habitat (11" tall), instructions, interesting butterfly information, and a coupon to redeem for 3-5 live butterfly larvae (caterpillars) with special food. (When you redeem the coupon there is an additional $5 S&H charge. Continental US and Alaska only. Allow 2-3 weeks to receive live culture after mailing coupon. You can redeem the coupon online.) Ages 4 & up.
Watch our butterfly lifecycle video to get a sneak peek at the transformation:
CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Sort Reviews:Newest | Oldest | Highest Rating | Lowest Rating - Monday, August 26, 2013 Great Observation Project Reviewed By: JoAnn We really enjoyed watching our caterpillars grow and go through their metamorphosis. We are currently watching a praying mantis in our butterfly garden. We are looking forward to doing butterflies again in the near future.
- Saturday, June 15, 2013 A whole lotta fun Reviewed By: Brad I bought the butterfly garden as a gift for my girlfriend who is in love with butterflies. She absolutely loved the idea and thought it was out of the box. Great gift idea for adults, not just for children.
- Thursday, June 06, 2013 What fun with grandchildren Reviewed By: C Vidal I ordered this to do with my grandchildren while I was staying with them. We had a ball watching the caterpillars and later installing them in the butterfly garden. I had to leave before they became butterflies but we had many fun calls about their metamorphosis and later release.
- Friday, May 10, 2013 Butterfly garden Reviewed By: Sydney I bought this as a present for my 4 year old nephew, who had very little interest in them until they became butterflies and especially when we released them. The concept of a creature that changes from one "ugly" and "icky" form into something so beautiful during it's life was something I was excited to teach him; that ugly things can be/become beautiful. The caterpillars were so much smaller than expected but grew almost double in size overnight. 3 weeks later they emerged as beautiful butterflies. He loved releasing them into his backyard and really didn't want to let them go. He loved it, and all the other parents at the party were impressed (and a little envious) with the gift. Best gift ever!
- Thursday, December 20, 2012 AS SEEN ON TV Reviewed By: Layne When my order arrived, I was very disappointed to see that this is the "AS SEEN ON TV" version of the Butterfly Garden. I am going to keep it because the cost of shipping the item back isn't worth it, but please be aware that this is the Live Butterfly Garden "AS SEEN ON TV." For the price difference on Home Science Tools, I was expected a superior product.
- Sunday, September 16, 2012 Amazing! Reviewed By: Lorrie My boys were so excited to get started with this. We were all amazed when our butterflies appeared. A great learning tool for our science class!
- Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Fun fun fun Reviewed By: Diane Reed My girls ages 6 and 9 got this for an Easter gift and they could not wait to get started. Within the week we had the larvae and they are growing fast!! My oldest "knows all about it" from the butterfly garden her 2nd grade class had; but is just as excited as my youngest!!
- Friday, February 18, 2011 butterflies Reviewed By: Diana Wise We have used this kit as well as the larger kit, and reused them with refill caterpillars. It always works well. My daycare children, my children, and the parents of the daycare children are all excited watching the changes take place. We almost always have all of them turn into butterflies. We watch them for a while and then let them go.
- Monday, April 05, 2010 Awesome Butterflies Reviewed By: Meg This kit was great! We ordered the caterpillars online and it was fast and easy. All five of ours turned into butterflies. My kids (7 and 4) absolutely loved this! We'll save the house and do it again another year. Very nice product!
- Wednesday, June 10, 2009 delightful and definitely worth the price Reviewed By: Beth Ann The Butterfly Garden and Larvae project provided our whole family with a delightful experience. We had 5 of the 5 larvae grow and develop to adulthood. The whole process was easy to observe - no mess b/c the larvae food was included. And the adult butterflies were very colorful and pretty. The BF Garden was light-weight, easy for little children to transport and very easy to store.
- Saturday, January 24, 2009 Awesome Experience! Reviewed By: Melanie Mize I had never witnessed the life cycle of a butterfly until after I had purchased this product for my children's science curriculum. I was as excited as the kids were about watching the caterpillars make their chrysalises. And we actually got to watch some of them hatch! After a few days, we decided to release them and one landed on my finger and seemed to not want to leave! To me, it was one of those rare life experiences that I can't wait to do again! I also like the fact that you can use the butterfly house to hold other insects as well!
- Friday, August 08, 2008 Amazing Transformation Reviewed By: Paula Russell My children truly enjoyed this science project. They were amazed by the transformaton of the caterpillars and they just couldn't believe how quickly they hatched into butterflies. They let them go outside our home and we can still see one hanging around our flower bed every now and then. We can't wait to get some more caterpillars! I would definitely recommend this kit. Fun for all ages!
- Thursday, September 06, 2007 Everyone should try this once! Reviewed By: E. Lynch We used this kit as one of our homeschool science projects last year. Watching the butterflies emerge was the highlight of the experience. The "garden" is sturdy and can be reused again and again. Ours has been trransformed into a temporary cage for bugs that we come across in the yard. Works great for keeping lightning bugs...and then letting them go.
- Thursday, January 11, 2007 Reuseable and Fun
Even after you use your first set of caterpillars the sturdy net "cage" can be reused with more orders of caterpillars or with those you find in your yard! Information about feeding them is included.
- Tuesday, January 09, 2007 another positive review
I got this for my six year old around a year ago. She loved it so much, I re-ordered more larvae so we could watch the process again! The second time around, I found some milk weed and put it in the butterfly house with the butterflies. They actually laid beautiful teal eggs all over the leaves! It was very exciting. Great kit.
- Thursday, January 04, 2007 Can't wait to use it! Reviewed By: sharon thomas I got this for our 9 year old and can't wait to use it. A little too cold to be raising the caterpillars and then releasing them.
My daughter was excited and can't wait either.It is so roomy and folds up easily for storage too.
- Thursday, January 04, 2007 butterfly garden
my kids loved watching the butterflies hatch. They all hatched and flew off to the garden!
- Thursday, January 04, 2007 Everyone Should Try This Reviewed By: Ildiko Baugus We really enjoyed watching the butterflies grow. It was a really easy kit to use and all four of my children learned a little something about butterflies including us adults. Well worth the money. Can be used over and over again.
- Wednesday, September 06, 2006 Such fun!
This was a great little kit to get. You mail in a certificate free of charge to get the cup full of caterpillars, self-contained (you don't have to open it at all until the caterpillars are all in their chrysallis, great for squeamish moms!)
They say 3 of the 5 should live, but all of ours completed their entire life cycle. It was informative and fun, and for a very small charge, you can reuse the cage with new caterpillars, or your kids can use it to catch their own bugs later. It's a great value for the money, and good fun.
- Friday, July 21, 2006 Great fun for all ages Reviewed By: Karly Pitman My son received the butterfly kit for his birthday, and it was the hit of our family! Every morning, my children (ages 9, 6 and 4)would check on the status of the caterpillars to see how much they had grown. The morning the butterflies hatched from their chrysalli my son came running into my room with as much excitement as Christmas morning! All the butterflies hatched, and we held a party to let them go. We will definitely hatch another set next spring. An example of interesting, hands on science.