Chemistry of Food Experiment Kit
Learn about the chemical components of everyday foods as you test them with the chemicals provided in this kit. Perform qualitative tests for glucose, starch, protein, and vitamin C. This kit encourages students to discover through experimenting and gives them familiarity with chemistry lab procedures.
The instructions include five experiments as well as ideas for students to try on their own. Comes with test tubes, a beaker, biuret reagent, benedict's solution, indophenol, iodine, and more. You provide items like crackers and juice. With your kitchen as the lab, test whatever you're curious about! Ages 13 & up.
Want to use this kit for a science fair project? See our experiment ideas below to get you started.
Shipping Note: This item contains regulated chemicals and only ships Economy or Ground to a street address in the 50 US states.
- 6 large test tubes
- Test tube rack
- Test tube holder
- Biuret reagent (protein indicator)
- Benedict's solution (glucose indicator)
- Lugol's iodine (starch indicator)
- Indophenol (vitamin C indicator)
- Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
- Pipets (droppers)
- 250 ml glass beaker
- Wax pencil for marking on glass
- Experiment guide with charts to record test results
You might also want to order a test tube brush
to make cleaning up easier.
Science Fair Project Ideas:
- Which has more glucose—homemade or store-bought jam? You could try
different brands of jams and jellies, including some with artificial
- Do lemons, limes, oranges, or grapefruits have more vitamin C? What
about orange juice or lemon juice from the store vs. fresh? What about juice from concentrate?
- Does canning or freezing change the nutrition of fruits and vegetables?
Test fresh and preserved foods.
Overall Rating: Write an online review
and share your thoughts with other customersSort Reviews: Newest
| Highest Rating
| Lowest Rating
- Saturday, March 09, 2013Awesome kitReviewed By: raj
This kit is awesome, I used for my science fair. It aroused my curiosity to do more experiments at home!
- Monday, February 04, 2013Captain SCReviewed By: Shawn
The product is as ordered and was easy to use. The instructions are easy to follow and clearly written. I would recommend to anyone wanting to test foods. The only problem was the beaker was cracked upon arrival.
- Wednesday, December 26, 2012Great Kit!Reviewed By: Joseph Erwin
Very good quaulity kit. Thought that it should come with some safety gloves, mortar, and pestle, but besides that it is a terrific kit.
- Saturday, March 31, 2012Great FindReviewed By: Kim Bryant
Perfect quantity of chemicals and at the right price to go w/ABeka Biology. Just received and can't wait to use them. Purchased safety items as well (goggles, aprons and gloves) which are of a good quality and for the right price.
- Saturday, February 18, 2012Many lessons hereReviewed By: Lee
It's easy to conduct these tests, and there are so many uses for them! You can not only use them for studying the chemistry of proteins, lipids, etc, but for studying vitamins, learning to be skeptical of labels, comparing actual food components, learning to conduct a lab - this was one of the best values I ever purchased, as far as what kids took away. I highly recommend.Read More Reviews