Beetle Life Cycle KitThis complete Darkling beetle habitat kit includes a fully-paid coupon for 30 mealworms plus everything you need to study & care for them during their life cycle as they change into adult beetles.
Mealworms, or Darkling beetle larvae, are helpful for learning about insect metamorphosis. In a few weeks your mealworms will transform from larva form into pupa form (enclosed in a pale outer shell) and then finally emerge as adult Darkling beetles. These insects are extremely easy to keep at home or in the classroom and require no special care or attention!
The small, clear habitat is perfect for kids to pick up and hold while they observe all the stages of the life cycle. The observation dish and magnifier allow even more detailed observation and study. Ages 8 & up.
Kit Contents:Everything is included for you to watch the development of mealworm to Darkling beetle!
- Small, clear habitat (about 1.5 liters in size) with removable ventilated cover and easy-access door
- Fully pre-paid coupon for 30 live mealworms redeemable only in the 50 US states
- Booklet about raising and caring for your mealworms and Darkling beetle adults
- 4 oz. of wheat bran substrate that functions both as a bedding material and food for both the larvae and adults (lasts several months)
- Plastic forceps to pick up larvae, pupae, and adult beetles
- Large plastic petri dish to use for observing your mealworms and Darkling beetles up close
- 3x glass hand magnifier
Shipping Restrictions: The coupon in this kit can only be redeemed in the 50 US states. Typically you will receive your mealworms 2-3 weeks after you mail the coupon. However, severe weather or limited supply may delay shipment for several additional weeks.
Darkling Beetle Life Cycle & Development Time: Depending on the size of a mealworm upon arrival, it may take 1-6 weeks to develop into pupa and 2-3 weeks after that before adult beetles emerge. It is not unusual to have a few mealworms go into the pupa stage during shipment.
Guarantee: Home Science Tools guarantees that you will receive 30 live mealworms (or combination of those and pupae). Due to conditions beyond our control, we cannot guarantee the development of mealworms to adult Darkling beetles.