This unique Glo Germô Gel experiment kit is a memorable way to show how germs spread and how good hand washing technique is important in preventing disease! It can be easily adapted for a great science fair project.
This experiment kit comes with an 8-oz. bottle of Glo Germô gel, which simulates the behavior of real germs when you rub it on your hands. Using the included UV black light, these "germs" will glow and show kids whether they've washed their hands well. The kit comes with directions for completing five different experiments. Batteries included. The 8 ounce bottle of Glo Germô Gel is sufficient for 75-100 applications.
This kit now includes an improved, brighter UV black light. The 9-bulb LED black light is bright enough to see the GloGermô residue from a distance of over five feet. It has a convenient push-button on/off switch that is easy to use.
Check out our Glo Germs video to see how this product can be used effectively to teach kids (and adults) about the importance of handwashing:
Science Fair Project Ideas:
What is the effect of water temperature on hand washing? What is the
effect of time?
Which soaps work best for hand washing? What about for washing fruits or
Sort Reviews:Newest | Oldest | Highest Rating | Lowest Rating - Wednesday, November 14, 2012 Glo Germ Kit Reviewed By: Rachel Thanks Home Science for your pricing and fast delivery. I love this kit! I am a school nurse and I've done 5 classes so far. First I cover what germs are and how they spread, then I teach proper handwashing. I pull out the gel and put it on one child, show them the light, then allow them to wash their hands. Once they wash we check again to see if they've missed a spot. The light works great for our purposes. Thanks!
- Monday, September 10, 2012 Wonderful Teaching Tool Reviewed By: Kay Dewitt Nursing students were shocked to see how many organisms actually live on their hands...especially helpful for those with problematic cuticles and those who like to wear jewelry.
- Sunday, June 19, 2011 handwashing fun Reviewed By: tricia I have never seen my students wash their hands so well and with such enthusiasm. It is wonderful for showing them those spots that they typically miss like the fingernails.
- Monday, November 15, 2010 Glo Germ Lotion Kit Reviewed By: Anna It worked so well with the group of 1st graders I did the presentation with that I have never seen so many 6 year olds wash their hands so often! It was a great way for them to see how well they needed to wash their hands. They loved the outcome. Great product
- Wednesday, February 17, 2010 Glow Germ Gel Kit Reviewed By: Sandie Was somewhat disappointed with the gel itself. Once dry 'germs' didnt transfer well and hand sanitizer just smeared the germs. (Had to explain to the children that hand sanitizer works quite well at killing real germs, although one benifit was i did get to explain how lotion works!) The light was a big disappointment. It wasnt strong enough and every inch of where the children wanted to observe (which was EVERYWHERE) had to be within an inch or two of the front of the light. Their Grandpa went out and purchased a super strong pen light for around $20 and it was much better for germ detection. All in all I would recommend the gel but save your money on the light and purchsed it seperately.
- Wednesday, January 06, 2010 Glo Germ Gel Kit Reviewed By: Chris Although the net impact of this product on the kids is motivation to more thoroughly wash hands and they love the black light, I believe it is inherently and causally flawed.
As this product is lotion based, what you are really testing is the cleaning agents ability to remove the lotion which contain the simulated bacteria from your hands. As such, the agent that contain surfacting agents/enzymes will do the best - regular, non anti-bac dish soap. However, since we are dealing with simulated bacteria, agents such as ethyl alcohol and other hand sanitizers will have little effect as their purpose is to kill bacteria, of which non are present in Glo Germ Gel.
- Monday, January 12, 2009 Glo Germ Gel Kit Reviewed By: Jennifer This is a fantastic way to teach kids about germs and they can actually "see" the proper way to keep germs at bay. My kids LOVED this!
- Friday, August 08, 2008 Glo Germ Gel Kit Reviewed By: Paula Russell My son just loves this kit! He couldn't believe how dirty his hands were after he had just washed them. He couldn't wait for his cousin to come over and use the kit. Now my son spends extra time washing his hands the correct way. He also loves the light for scorpion hunts at night. Great educational product.
- Saturday, December 15, 2007 Glo Germ Gel Kit Reviewed By: Virgil Gibbs Excellent for teaching the importance of proper handwashing. The students at the Co-op loved it and were grossed out at how poorly they washed their hands on the first (and sometimes the second) attempt. A great teaching tool!!