Get hours of entertainment and stress-relief with this amazing heat-sensitive, color-changing putty! Thinking Putty is a non-Newtonian substance that can act as both a solid and a liquid. Push it gently with your finger, and it feels slimy; push it hard with your palm, and it feels tough. It can bounce like a rubber ball, or smash like ceramic if you hit it on the sidewalk. The color of this cool "hypercolor" putty changes from soft orange to yellow with temperature change. Provides a fun example of the unique characteristics of non-Newtonian substances. You'll get 1/5 lb (3.2 oz) of putty in a metal tin, and it won't dry out. Ages 7 & up.
This product is non-toxic and is safe for those with latex allergies. Made in the USA.
Watch our project video to see Thinking Putty tricks & tips!
Ideas for your Thinking Putty:
Try "spray painting" it! First, stretch out the putty into a square or rectangle, then use a blow dryer on low power to make it dark orange. Next, use a canned air in a pressurized canister (like what you use to clean your desk or office with) to paint a bright yellow design onto the putty.
Try breaking your Thinking Putty into tiny pieces by smashing it with a hammer. Since this is a project that needs to be done outside, your putty will most likely get dirty. So take just about 1.5 oz (or half of the container) and roll it into a ball. Place the ball on the sidewalk. Wearing safety goggles to protect your eyes, hit the ball of putty with a hammer or mallet. If you hit hard enough, the ball will break almost like a piece of ceramic, and tiny pieces will go everywhere!
Make loud popping noises. Squish the Thinking Putty in your hands for a while, to get the air out. Then stretch it out in a rectangle, getting it as thin as possible without making a hole. Quickly fold it in half, then in half the other way. Keep folding the shrinking sheet of putty until it won't fold in half again. Squeeze the putty between your hands. As the air trapped in the putty is released, it will make lots of noise.
Thinking Putty makes a cool stocking stuffer or inexpensive gift for any occasion!
CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Sort Reviews:Newest | Oldest | Highest Rating | Lowest Rating - Friday, May 25, 2012 Educational and Fun! Reviewed By: Dina I ran across "Thinking Putty" when purchasing supplies for our co-op middle school chemistry class. I thought it looked like fun and my 13 year old daughter agreed so I purchased a can for Christmas. Everyone in the family enjoyed it! I then purchased a second can a to use as an incentive for the kids in class -- it was a hit!
- Monday, August 22, 2011 I'd give this a 10 if I could Reviewed By: Mary Schilling My kids love this. You can do so many things with the putty: bounce it, snap it, make it change colors from yellow (warm) to orange (cold). It breaks like plastic but oozes like a liquid when you leave it on the counter. It's fun to make air bubbles pop. My 10 yr old can't stop playing with it.
- Thursday, December 30, 2010 I would give it 16 stars! Reviewed By: Samantha Santa left the Sunburst in my 8 year old son's stocking and Amethyst in my 12 year old daughter's. My son said he would give it 16 out of 5 stars. He has used it to sculpt noses to wear as masks. He would like everyone to know that it does hurt if your sister hits you with it. As a mom, I love the entertainment value. It's great for keeping hands busy and calming down. I also love that I can feel comfortable with my 'get into anything and everything' son playing with it as it does not stick or leave a residue. I would not hesitate to recommend this.
- Tuesday, August 31, 2010 Just Great! Reviewed By: Barry The simplest is many times the best. This thinking putty is just a wonderful gift for my kids....and for adults. I can't get enough of these items for presents. Everyone should!!!!
- Wednesday, May 13, 2009 Great for times of THINKING Reviewed By: Karen Bridges I bought this for my two girls ages 8 & 13. They are loving it. My husband and I do a lot of reading out loud to them and they love to play with it while we read. My husband and I also like playing with it while the other person is reading. Great product, vivid colors, large amount in the tin containers.
- Tuesday, January 06, 2009 Great toy for kids and adults! Reviewed By: Debbie Hinks We gave this "thinking putty" to our 6 year old daughter at Christmas time....it was a 'big hit' with all the kids - the 6 year old up to the senior in high school and beyond...grad school level and parents....everyone had to have a chance to play with it....neat substance that you can do lots with.....a 5 year old neighbor boy was in after Christmas, and in no time he saw it and began playing with it. We like it as it is not 'sticky'or 'goo-ey' like some silly putty type things are - and so far no marks on the carpet, furniture, walls etc from contact. Good amount in the package and the tin is sturdy and nice. Current fun is to make the putty into a hollow ball and hear it 'crack'..../snap. Putty holds its shape very well. Highly recommend - for all ages!
- Tuesday, December 18, 2007 great gift Reviewed By: Marcia Geurink I bought the Thinking Putty for my son and two nephews as a stocking stuffer. The colors are vivid, and the color change is fascinating to watch. We have not smashed it with a hammer yet, but I'm sure one of the boys will soon.